In the oldest part of Trelleborg the medieval street layout has been partly preserved. The church, originally dating from about 1250, was almost completely rebuilt at the end of the 19th century. Around the church and the old market square, the Gamla Torg, some of the little single- family houses characteristic of Skåne have been preserved.
Road 9 runs east from Trelleborg to the Smygdehuk lighthouse, marking the most southerly point in Sweden. From here it is 1,581km/982mi to Treriksröset on the Norwegian-Swedish frontier near the Lyngenfjord. Trelleborg Art Gallery
On the east side of the Municipal Park in Trelleborg is the Art Gallery (1935), with a collection of sculpture by Axel Ebbe (1868-1941). In the Stortorg is the Sea Serpent Fountain, also by Ebbe.
On Trelleborg's harbor, near the railroad, can be seen a monument presented by Germany in 1926 in gratitude for the help of the Swedish Red Cross in returning wounded prisoners of war from Russia during the First World War.
A few hundred meters east of the harbor, in Skyttsgården, the Municipal Museum. Västra Vammenhög. The village of Västra Vammenhög, northeast of Trelleborg, achieved world fame after featuring in Selma Lagerlöf's book "The Wonderful Adventures of Nils".
Trelleborg is probably the most well known of the large circular fortresses. The reason being, among others, that it was the first one to be recognized. Although the circular rampart had been known throughout the ages, little energy had been invested in figuring out its purpose. Only when a motorcycle club began making plans for turning the circular rampart into a speedway-track did the National Museum put its foot down and started excavating the site in 1933.
The fortress of Trelleborg is situated a few kilometers west of the town of Slagelse, and there is access to the ramparts at all times. By car there is easy access from highway E20. Leave the highway at entry no 40 Slagelse V following route 150 towards Slagelse. After ca 2 kilometers go left on a minor road towards Hejninge. Follow the signs from there.
Via public transport it is possible to take a bus from Slagelse which can be reached by intercity train from Copenhagen.
The museum is open April to October 10.00 to 17.00. Friday closed. A wide range of activities take place at Trelleborg during summer.
Trelleborg is noted for hosting a week lon Viking Fair of Denmark in July and arranging a reconstruction of The Battle of Trelleborg when Harald Bluetooth and his son Svend Forbeard fighted about the power of Denmark.